BREAST RECONSTRUCTION WITH DR RICARDO VEGA
The goal of breast reconstruction is to restore one or both breasts to near normal shape, appearance, symmetry and size following mastectomy, lumpectomy or congenital deformities.
Breast reconstruction often involves multiple procedures performed in stages and can either begin at the time of mastectomy or be delayed until a later date.
Breast reconstruction generally falls into two categories: implant-based reconstruction or flap reconstruction. Implant reconstruction relies on breast implants to help form a new breast mound. Flap (or autologous) reconstruction uses the patient’s own tissue from another part of the body to form a new breast.
BEST CANDIDATE FOR BREAST RECONSTRUCTION
Breast reconstruction is a highly individualized procedure. You should do it for yourself, not to fulfill someone else’s desires or to try to fit any sort of ideal image.
You may be a candidate for breast reconstruction if:
- You are able to cope well with your diagnosis and treatment
- You do not have additional medical conditions or other illnesses that may impair healing
- You have a positive outlook and realistic goals for restoring your breast and body image
Although breast reconstruction can rebuild your breast, the results are highly variable:
- A reconstructed breast will not have the same sensation or feel as the breast it replaces
- Visible incision lines will always be present on the breast, whether from reconstruction or mastectomy
- Certain surgical techniques will leave incision lines at the donor site, commonly located in less exposed areas of the body such as the back, abdomen or buttocks
RECOVERY AND RESULTS
Following your breast reconstruction surgery for flap techniques and/or the insertion of a breast implant, gauze or bandages may be applied to your incisions.
An elastic bandage or support bra will minimize swelling and support the reconstructed breast. A small, thin tube may be temporarily placed under the skin to drain any excess blood or fluid.
Healing will continue for several weeks while swelling decreases and breast shape/position improve. Continue to follow your plastic surgeon’s instructions and attend follow-up visits as scheduled.
SEE SOME OF OUR SUCCESS STORIES
MEET DR. RICARDO VEGA
Dr. Ricardo Vega is an international renowned Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with private practice in Tijuana, Mexico for over 20 years. He has spent a lifetime getting the expertise, education, training and practice with over thousands of procedures throughout his career… SEE MORE
WHAT PATIENTS SAY ABOUT DR. RICARDO VEGA
Check our patients verified reviews!